Learn SketchUp the right way!
Become a SketchUp guru in just 2 days of training. The class is meant for beginners and seasoned users alike. This class was created to have you learning proper techniques from the get-go! Start with good habits and begin learning SketchUp the right way. Both PC and Mac versions of SketchUp Pro 2022 are shown throughout the class so that users get to see the UI correctly.
The course starts by going over the fundamental tools as well as the setup of the template and toolbars. Next, you will build a simple interior living room space and develop the model into a document. Learn how to start from scratch, create a living room space and bring up walls and push out door and window openings. Learn how to create groups and components and place furniture within the model. You will then add textures and materials to the model, learn how to import images and colors, and even artwork. You will also add details like trim and baseboards. You will also learn how to organize with SketchUp. Learn how to use tags to adjust the visibility of objects and create scenes to save camera positions for renderings or plans and elevations. Lastly, we send the file to LayOut, SketchUp’s paper space tool, where we will add pages, add a title block, labels, and dimensions to our design intent document.
This project-based 2-day SketchUp class will help you improve your design skills and leverage them for other designer workflows.
What you’ll learn
- Learn how to create and develop a 3D model of s space in SketchUp.
- Learn how to adjust and add furniture, materials, and textures to a model.
- Learn how to create a rendering and animation.
- Learn how to export to LayOut to create a presentation document with dimensions and notes.
What’s included in the course?
- 2 full days of live training
- Lifetime access to all online tutorial courses. ($295 value)
- Direct feedback during sessions
- Course Certificate
About the Instructor
Daniel Brown has been a SketchUp Trainer since 2007. He served as a SketchUp Trainer for Google prior to starting db-3D and SketchUpTrainer.com. He has taught SketchUp all around the world to hundreds of designers. Dan provides 2-day live training courses in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Washington, DC every 8-10 weeks as well as monthly online courses. Dan has assisted various designers on how to enhance their workflow and leverage SketchUp in their field. He serves as a presenter for Trimble SketchUp’s Visiting Professional Program and is an Adjunct Instructor at Harcum College.
This beginner class shows you the basics and creates a strong foundation to build upon. Learn the essentials of navigating SketchUp and the terminology of the program.
- Introduction: Welcome Screen, Templates, Toolbars
- Drawing in 2D: Line, Rectangle, Circle, Polygon, Arc, Freehand
- Lines & Inferencing
- Massing a Model: Learn how to inferencing works in 3D as well as use the Follow-me tool to create complex roof pitches.
- Measuring & Precision: Learn the essentials of drawing in your default units, using the Offset and Push/pull tools.
- Guide me: Learn how to use guides to create window and door openings quickly.
- Groups and Section: Learn why we create groups in the model and how to select objects and geometry.
- Move, Rotate, Copy: Simple exercises that showcase these powerful tools.
- Styles & Scenes: Learn how to create views and use styles within your model.
- Navigating Around: Learn the ins and outs of orbit, perspectives, pan, etc.
- Creating Groups & Components: Learn when to create components instead of groups.
- Modeling Workflow: Learn how to approach modeling more complex spaces.
- Section Cuts and 2D Views: Learn how to make orthographic views and section cuts and export them.
- A Taste of LayOut: Learn the basics of creating a presentation with SketchUp’s paper-space program: LayOut. (This is a feature with SketchUp Pro)
This lesson provides the ideal workflow for using SketchUp when importing existing 2D line drawings. Import a 2D file and learn tips and tricks for organizing line-work, creating reference groups, aligning geometry, and constructing 3D models quickly. Also, you will learn how to save time with some clever plugins for this workflow. Prior CAD skills are not required for this session.
- New Matched Photo: Learn how to model a building for an existing photograph, grab the geolocation and photo-texture the massing model.
- Importing 2D Files: Learn what imports, how its placed and how to make this work to your benefit.
- Layers in SketchUp: Understand how SketchUp controls visibility and geometry.
- Organizing the 2D Model: Learn who to group line work, create layers, and align/rotate 2D elevations in a typical workflow.
- Interior Modeling: Learn techniques for creating openings, adding walls, and placing components. Learn advanced camera tools to better see inside the model.
- Extensions: Learn how to install plugins and use them to save time in creating typically architectural elements like windows, staircases, louvers, and doorways.
- Exporting: Learn how to export views as images, cad files, and how to send to LayOut to create a presentation.
- Q/A: With so much
Know before you go:
Students should bring their own laptop, power cord, and mouse.
Mac or PC of SketchUp Pro 2022. Users may choose to install a 30-day trial of SketchUp Pro. Previously versions are ok as well.
Covid / Mask Policy:
For the safety of all attendees and per the policies of the conference room vendor, masks are required.
I love the SketchUp Trainer course. Besides going through them in full, I love diving back in when I’m in need of a refresher on something I don’t use all the time. Well split between pc and Mac although I prefer PC 😀
I took Dan’s course in 2019. It was a great course. Dan explains the material properly and also is patient with those who do not pick up the material quickly. I was having a hard time with some of the concepts and by the end pretty much all my questions were answered and I felt ready to use the program.
I took Dan’s Sketchup workshop in person in January 2020. He is an excellent teacher and able to explain things really well. I learned so much during that 2-day course and immediately was able to use Sketchup for my design work. I’ve continued learning with his online tutorials to refresh my memory about parts of the program I wanted to become more efficient in. He breaks it down into easy-to-grasp sections. I highly recommend his courses!
I had a great SU learning experience with Dan. He is mastering SketchUp and layout hands on! And as a designer and architect this is not that easy to find. I need more! Thanks for all your help. And congrats for your new little guy.
I attended a SketchUp training course in 2019. Dan is a great teacher. Very interesting to listen to and full of tips and tricks for skill building in the software. The class was able to appeal to all skill levels present.
When I began learning architecture and design I did what most people are told to do, I learned AutoCAD Architecture, a powerful but often overwhelming software. For a number of years I continued to use it but always thought it to be cumbersome and a steep learning curve. Over the years many friends and colleagues switched over to SketchUp and would tell me how much quicker and intuitive it was to use. I finally put my fears away and dove in. What made it easy and fun was when, after a recommendation, I signed up for SketchUp Trainer. It is really, really fantastic! Daniel Brown does such a great job of taking you through the learning process in a way that is simple to understand and almost feels like a having personal instructor. I also really enjoy his calm demeanor on the instruction videos. I can’t recommend his courses enough! I have gotten busy lately and had to take a break but am really excited to jump back in for more. SketchUp Trainer is absolutely worth every penny!
If you can not do a live training in person, try one of our online webinars or book a private training.